Autumn goods are easy to incorporate into your everyday meals. So why don’t you start with pancakes? Today I’m sharing a pancake recipe that’s been my family’s favorite weekend breakfast food for the last month – vegan apple & cranberry pancakes. They’re moist, easy to make and very delicious.
Are you enjoying autumn with all the incredible food it gives? Pumpkins, apples, squashes, kale, cranberries, mushrooms…My kitchen countertops are covered with apples and pumpkins, the fridge is filled with kale but my freezer is loaded with cranberries and lingonberries.
I must admit that I’m really into the autumn vibe. All those cozy things like wrapping in a blanket with a good book, sipping lots of hot tea, wearing coats & scarfs and using up all the candles really gives me butterflies. Of course, this also goes for the food.
Rich veggie sautés, spicy soups, home-baked sourdough bread and lots of roasted potatoes are my go-to savory autumn foods. And what about the sweet ones? Rich, chocolatey donuts with the final fresh blueberries, sweet potato brownies, apple muffins and piles of pancakes for breakfast (topped with lots of peanut butter and maple syrup). Oh, my.
And seriously – what can be better than a big pile of mouth-watering apple & cranberry pancakes on a gloomy autumn morning? Apple adds a nice moisture to the pancakes. But cranberries finish them off with a juicy touch of sourness.
And while these pancakes are comforting and filling, they’re also wholesome and healthy. Both apples and cranberries are loaded with vitamin C which makes them the perfect food for keeping common autumn cold at bay.
But now let’s dive into the pancake deliciousness. 🙂
Vegan Apple Cranberry Pancakes
Makes 15 pancakes
- 1 cup whole spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 3/4 cup rice milk (or any other plant milk)
- 3/4 cup peeled apple, grated (sweet and sour both work well)
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (or lingonberries)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt (I used Himalayan)
- olive or coconut oil for baking
- for toppings: maple syrup, extra cranberries, fresh figs, peanut butter or anything else that you like!
- In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredient – flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Then add the wet ingredients – plant milk, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract. Mix well. Finally, stir in the grated apple and cranberries. Check the consistency of the dough – it should be more on the thick side (not too runny!), adjust the consistency by adding more liquid or flour if necessary. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, heat a pan over medium heat. Drizzle it with a bit of oil and pour on the dough forming pancakes. Brown on both sides.
- Serve hot drizzled with maple syrup and your favorite toppings!